“This is an open message to our customers concerning the recent purchase of the Columbiana Piggly Wiggly store by Baker Foods, Inc.:
First, we the management and staff of Piggly Wiggly, would like to thank the community of Columbiana for the support that you have given us as we have served you for nearly 40 years. Although the ownership of the store has changed, we are still the same familiar faces here serving you and providing the same customer courtesy that we have in the past. There have been so many rumors perpetuated by people on FaceBook and circulated around the town that we thought it would be a good idea to address and dispel some of them directly:
1. The Deli is not closing! It will continue to operate just as it always has!
2. The name is not changing. We will continue to be Piggly Wiggly!
3. Walter Martin will remain the Meat Market Manager here in Columbiana and will continue to provide the finest quality and cuts of meat that you have grown to expect from us.
4.. Our pricing structure is not changing. We will not become a Cost Plus 10% store! In fact, due to the larger buying power of Baker Foods, and the fact that we now have 2 grocery wholesale warehouses to buy from, we believe that many prices will be able to be dropped around the store and new product offerings will become available.
5. We will continue to sell alcoholic beverages!
6. We will still continue our regular hours of service. We will be open from 6AM-10PM Monday – Saturday and 7AM-10PM on Sunday.
7. The community fundraising initiative known as Planet Fundraiser that has generated a large amount of money for our schools and local civic organizations will continue!
8. The monthly donation commitment made by the prior owner to the Shelby Baptist Association will continue under Baker Foods.
9. As of the Friday, June 22, we have been granted our license to provide WIC services to our customers once again. We apologize for the disruption of service, but due to the change of ownership, we were forced to be re-permitted by the WIC office and this process took several weeks to be completed.
10. Baker Foods, Inc. has done nothing to change the pricing structure in the Columbiana store. The price file from the previous owner was carried right over into the new ownership. Pricing decisions are still made at the local level. Our weekly ads have always been prepared locally and continue to be made locally by the same employee who has been writing them for the past 5 years.
Again, we want the community of Columbiana to know how much we appreciate the patronage that you have given us through the years, and we will work hard every day to continue to earn your business. If you have any questions about any changes, or if you read something on FaceBook or hear it around town, please consider that it may not be altogether factual. Please feel free to stop in the store and ask one of our management team anything that you might like to know or confirm. You may also call us at 669-4278.”